"I cross my heart/and promise to/give all Ive got to give to make all your dreams come true
In all the world/youll never find/ a love as true as mine"
-- George Straits "I Cross My Heart"
Valentine's Day is near, and GAC has love fever! Love has inspired some of the greatest songs, most interesting stories and significant family dynasties in the genre. Weve assembled our list of the "Top 25 Country Couples." Their relationships are filled with drama, romance, jealousy, famous offspring and some really great music. From The Carter Family to Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, heres our list of the "Top 25 Country Couples."
1) Wedding date coming (soon!) - Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert are one of countrys hottest duos, onstage and off. She sang sweet harmonies on Blakes hit, "Home," theyve written songs together, and they even hunt together! Shes a sassy spitfire and hes the king of sarcasm but when it comes to each other, they are sincerely in love. They got engaged in May 2010 and their wedding is rumored to be taking place in the spring of 2011. And at the 44th Annual CMA Awards, Blake and Miranda became the first couple in a decade to win Male and Female Vocalist of the Year in the same evening.
2) October 26, 1969 - Jessi Colter married Waylon Jennings in Mesa, Arizona. They both contributed to country music's first platinum album, Wanted: The Outlaws, and Waylon frequently hailed Jessi as a major force in helping him conquer his cocaine addiction. Waylon passed away on February 13, 2002. In 2006, Jessi released her first traditional studio album in 20 years, and their son Shooter Jennings has followed in mom and dads footsteps as a recording artist.
3) March 1, 1968 - Johnny Cash exchanged vows with June Carter at the Methodist Church, in Franklin, Kentucky. Both had previous marriages that produced yet more country stars: Johnny and his first wife, the former Vivian Liberto, welcomed Rosanne Cash; and June's wedding to Country Music Hall of Fame member Carl Smith yielded Carlene Carter. Johnny and June lasted long enough to observe their 35th anniversary. Sadly, June died on May 15, 2003 and Johnny died later that same year on September 12.
4) December 15, 1944 Isn't it romantic? Hank Williams married Audrey Guy at an exclusive venue: a gas station outside Andalusia, Alabama! Their on-and-off relationship was certainly strained, but it led Hank to write such heartbreak classics as "Your Cheatin' Heart" and "You Win Again." Another legacy of their union is Hank Williams Jr.
5) December 28, 1993 - Shania Twain married record producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange in Northern Ontario, Canada. Before that, Shania was a struggling singer, but together, they set new musical trends and earned a Grammy for co-writing their romantic song "You're Still The One." Shania shared her anniversary with another country singer: Billy Ray Cyrus married Leticia Finley at home in Tennessee the same day, dressed in spiffy blue jeans and a cut-up sweatshirt. Billy Ray and Tish separated in October 2010 -- and before that, Shania left Mutt in May 2008 following his alleged affair with Shanias best friend.
But Shania's story has a happy ending. In December 2010, she got engaged to Frédéric Thiébaud, the ex-husband of Shania's best friend (see paragraph above). Shania and Fred tied the knot on New Year's Day, 2011.
6) June 18, 1915 - A.P. Carter married Sara Dougherty in Clinch Mountain, Virginia, uniting two of the three performers who would comprise The Carter Family. Eleven years later, Maybelle Addington married Ezra Carter. Their classic "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" is about the hereafter, but they could've easily assigned the title to a song about wedding rings.
7) February 16, 1969 - George Jones married Tammy Wynette in Ringgold, Georgia, six months after they first announced they had already wed. The duo travelled together in a bus bearing "Mr. & Mrs. Country Music" on the side, but in reality they had a very rocky six years together. Both required at least four marriages to find the one that really took: Tammy married songwriter George Richey in 1978, remaining with him for her last two decades. George and his wife, Nancy, went to the altar in Woodville, Texas, in 1983. And here's a whopper of a tale: Demonstrating just how down-to-earth the couple was, George and Nancy had dinner on their wedding night at a Burger King.