Tis the Season to sing holiday tunes! We asked GAC's Grand Ole Opry Live host Nan Kelley to pick her Top 10 favorite holiday songs...and here they are! (Plus one more for good measure)
1. "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy"--David Bowie and Bing Crosby
What a pairing! "Little Drummer Boy" is my favorite Christmas song. He had no gifts to bring for the newborn king and he gave what he had--himself and his talent.
2. "I'll Be Home For Christmas"--The Carpenters
Christmas time is not the same without Karen Carpenter's smooth and solid voice. Timeless.
3. "Same Old Lang Syne"--Dan Fogelberg
I look forward to hearing this song every season. It rings in the new year. So well written. Met my old lover in the grocery store? How many verses do you know? Think about it....probably all of them.
4. "It Wasn't His Child"--Skip Ewing
He is one of the best writers. If you haven't heard this song and you believe in the meaning of Christmas, get this record!
5. "Mary Did You Know"--Kenny Rogers
Written by Mark Lowery, this is the ultimate Christmas message--the birth of Jesus.
6. The Christmas Guest"--Reba or Grandpa Jones' version
I cry every time I hear this. We can make a difference with our compassion and kindness every day, not just at Christmas.
7. "Sleighride"--Mel Torme
My husband Charlie introduced me to this CD. Love his scattin'! This is definitely in the disc changer tray on Christmas eve.
8. "White Christmas"--Bing Crosby
One of the greats--gotta hear it! Growing up in Mississippi, white Christmases were certainly a dream.
9. "All I Want For Christmas"--Ray Charles
Another favorite and the CD plays throughout the holidays. This song is distinctly his.
10. "Christmas Time is Here"--A Charlie Brown Christmas/The Vince Guaraldi Trio
I love this whole CD. Growing up in front of the TV, you have to love this special every year! Another one that's in the Kelley CD player on Christmas eve.
11. "Silver and Gold"--Burl Ives
From the animation of my childhood?"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" I bought the DVDs and I have to watch all of those classic animations every year. Rudolph and Clarice and the island of misfits toys, "I'm cute, I'm cute, she thinks I'm cute!"; "I want to be a dentist"; the abominable snowman?